A large Grade II listed country house built in 1828 and extensively remodelled in c1890 by Sir William Hicking, a prominent Nottingham manufacturer. The birthplace in 1861 of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby, British Commander in Palestine 1917-18. The Hall is set in extensive formal gardens with a walled kitchen garden, small lake, and an Orangery which is now a coffee shop where beverages and snacks will be available.
The Hall became an agricultural college in 1949 and is now the School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences of Nottingham Trent University.
There will be conducted tours of parts of the Hall where a small photographic exhibition will be on display together with some historical agricultural implements. A member of staff will also be available in the gardens to give further information.
Tours every 20 minutes
Max 10 people per tour/session. The Orangery will be open for the sale of beverages, cold rinks and light snacks
Facilitated by Southwell Civic Society on behalf of Nottigham Trent University
The Hall is situated about 1 mile outside Southwell on the Nottingham Road (A612) It is served from Nottingham city centre by the 100 Pathfinder bus.
Brackenhurst College, Brackenhurst Lane, Southwell, Nottinghamshire, NG25 0QF